trinibaje
(Weather Guru)
Mon Aug 29 2005 09:16 PM
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding

Quote:

If you have a generator, buy a carbon monoxide detector. They are cheap.

(And like the previous poster, I apologize if this post is off-topic; but carbon monoxide poisoning, although uncommon, does happen more often after storms than at other times, and with a detector it is for the most part preventable.)

I know its a great convienience to have a generator in a time like this, but sometimes i wonder if the risk is worth it. My neighbour has one, its loud and i can smell the gas from my house. To me its a very scary machine to have, granted i just went four days without power and no where to go because of flooding because of Katrina.

On a side note, i remember earlier in the season, we were voting on the hurricane names that scare us this season, who would have guessed a sweet innocent name like Katrina would turn out to be like this.

On another side note, I will never use the term "minimal hurricane again". After what i went through this weekend, Katrina really slapped us around here in South Miami Dade County. One lesson learnt, when there is a hurricane warning, take it very seriously.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center