Big Red Machine
(Storm Tracker)
Tue Aug 30 2005 04:23 PM
Re: Katrina Aftermath

Quote:

As the point I was trying to make on my previous posts. Still, have not heard or seen any reports coming in from around the world for assistance. This will go down history as perhaps the worst disaster for the U.S. barring any futrue storms.

Sadly I'm not suprised. Perhaps when people see the effect that this storm will have on the national economy they will truly realize what a devastating storm this was. I think the Feds have a good idea on the extent of the storm damage, but for some reason the national television stations are not reporting. I know I sound like a broken record, but the national stations still seem to be oblivious or unwilling to publicize the catastrophic nature of the storm. This is one case where I am very thankful for the internet.I have turned to the local television stations. They said that the city is flooded with feet of water over almost the entire city and unfortunately fires are raging across areas of the city as firefighters either cannot reach them or are not able to put them out as they are too busy in other areas. Highway 90 from MS is completely and utterly destroyed. Medical care in the city is pretty much unavailable. Also there is apparently 3 feet of water in the Superdome. According to the local tv: the lake continues to flow into the city through the two breaches and water will consider to spread across the city, literally filling bowl as the water is going to spread out across the city until the areas have more uniform flooding. They also say that due to the tremendous stress on the levees, further levee breaks are possible. Officials are urging those still in New Orleans to leave. The only way out is through the "Crescent City Connection." (There is no way into the city). There is also concern (eventually) about some limited flooding from the Mississippi as it rises from rainwater to the north. Those in the Superdome will be there for "a long time." They hope that the refugees in the Superdome will remain calm (Again, this is not according to me, this is according to the local news). At least two people inside the Superdome have died. "This is bad as it gets people."

Crews are hoping to plug the levees by dropping 3000lb sandbags from helicopters.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center