Lake Toho - Kissimmee
(Storm Tracker)
Tue Aug 30 2005 08:35 PM
Re: Katrina Aftermath

Well we shall see what President Bush does. I was down in Miami for Andrew and saw what his father did not do. So I am hoping the son will be different. Its odd that the federal government removed almost 75% of their funding for New Orleans Pumps and Levy systems. Global warming and the straightening of the Mississippi River are contributing causes to the current situation. While straightening the river was great for big business, without the silt provided by the meandering Mississippi, barrier islands and/or wetlands cannot be sustained and have diminished dramatically over the years. These barrier islands normally act as buffers for hurricanes,etc.

Well enough of being on a political soap box, I feel very bad for everyone in that area. Hurricanes are not a force to be messed with.. Hopefully this is an eye opener.

Looters are secondary and frankly a nuicance, though a nice story for the media. However, what is concerning to me is the reports I hear on the media about houses that are underwater except the roofs. There are a lot of one story houses, and you see many of them up to their roofs in water. Many people stayed in their homes, and now are stuck in the crawl space in their roofs. With the temperatures in the 90's those people must be suffering big time. So whenever you see houses with water up to the roof on television, there maybe people in the crawl space of those roofs.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center