BTfromAZ
(Weather Hobbyist)
Tue Aug 30 2005 10:51 PM
Re: Katrina Aftermath

Quote:

The looters will meet their doom one way or another.

I'll repeat what I said before. Anyone out and about, wading around in that "water" in the streets of New Orleans, is asking for a very nasty death. Have the news reports shown the first corpse floated up from one of the well-known cemetaries yet? I haven't seen it but I expect to. The mosquitos are right now beginning to multiply and soon will be spreading disease among those out and about, looting or otherwise, in the city. I suspect what is happening is going to resemble one of those sci-fi movies where the impending victims go merrily about their business unaware that their fate is sealed.

There needs to be a massive public health effort to (1) get everybody out of the flooded areas whether they want to go or not, (2) innoculate them against the better known infectious diseases; (3) enforce sanitation measures (pure drinking water, use of safe toilet facilities etc); (4) suppress mosquito breeding by aerial spraying; (5) treating any illness that develops promptly.

Watch for the first reports of skin infections in a day or two followed by diarrheal diseases in 3 or 4 days. The looters are likely to find their booty not wofrth what it has cost them.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center