Disaster Master
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Aug 31 2005 01:56 AM
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues

As far as the flood insurance goes it depends on the Firm Date and the elevation. anything in N.O. built after 1985, coverage starts at the lowest structural member on the elevated building. Which is the floor joist. If your house is on concrete slab most odf the time it is covered completely( most are pre-1985). Biggest concern will be mold. Most of these structures you are seing on TV IE: CNN, FNC are single family pre firm on slab. There will be full coverage. Anything sitting in water for the 3 -4 weeks they are predictiong will be classified as a total loss. Problem is im afraid that most of these folk only carry enough flood insurance to cover there mortgage. Very common problem. Any more questions, post em and i will answer. i have all of the policies. resedential and RCBAP here in front of me.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center