Sheeper
(Weather Hobbyist)
Wed Aug 31 2005 02:12 AM
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues

here is some info that people may not be aware of. The Red Cross has a system called "Disaster Welfare Inquiry" (DWI). They can communicate from disaster zones to the outside world to let someone know that you are "ok" (or not). I believe that this communications is from Red Cross people in a disaster area to local chapters and not to people directly. Warning: the Red Cross changed it's handling of DWI recently due to budget issues and I'm not entirely sure of the impact.
I know the Red Cross is overwhelmed (as is everyone) but they're working at it. Members of my team here are enroute right now. I'm waiting to catch up with FEMA teams and should be enroute either soon or within 2 weeks as a relief team for those already in place.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center