WiscoWx
(Registered User)
Wed Aug 31 2005 02:12 AM
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues

DisasterMaster (or anyone else in a position to know),

I am a school administrator in Wisconsin. We will certainly be organizing donation efforts to mainstream charities in our schools like we do for every major disaster, but I am wondering what specific assistance schools elsewhere can offer to those directly impacted by Katrina. We had a local family call us today asking about residency requirements because they have relatives who hope to relocate for a few months until the recovery takes hold, which underscored the massive refugee/dislocation crisis that is upon us.

I know that there must be contingency plans for this. For dislocated families that are not moving to be with family in other areas, but will be residing in camps, what are the plans for the schooling of the children? Is this being coordinated at the states or federal level? We are planning on our budgets being strapped due to energy prices, but if we have excess materials, supplies, equipment, etc. that is of OK quality, will it be needed and what would be the point of contact? Essentially, is there anything school institutions outside the affected area can do to and how do we link up?

Thanks much!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center