Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Wed Aug 31 2005 02:45 AM
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues

I'm listening to Ed Reams with WDSU/Channel 6 for New Orleans. He just said that he heard from the mayor that another levee (sp?) is now on the verge of breaking because sandbags that were supposed to be delivered by the Army could not be delivered. Another reporter said that a looter shot a policeman in the head, but that he is expected to live. The reporter also said that if the mayor is correct and most of the city will be underwater, the looters loot won't be worth anything because they'll all be underwater. The reporter also said that he is reporting from Jackson, MS because they felt they were in too much danger. I think you could say LA is in a state of mass confusion. Have there been any reports from Grand Isle, LA? At 6:30 tonight, NBC News reported that no one had been able to get there.
There is no way they can get that water out until they are able to get the pumps working again. That can't happen until they have electricity. The pumps that are running on diesel are failing because it's just too much for them to handle, so they are just shutting them down. It will be weeks before that water is gone.
I have a question: if they want to evacuate the Superdome, just how are they going to do that? I know they are moving them up, but how to get them down to get them out? They are also taking people from Tulane University Hospital TO the Superdome because of flooding. There are (what looks to be) 100's of people sitting under the overpasses near the Superdome. Where is higher ground and HOW are they going to get there?
Next question: has anyone heard from the UN or our so-called allies telling the US that they would do anything to help us? So far, the only countries I've heard about is Saudi Arabia and Venezuala.
I am now hearing on CNN that the police and the National Guard are making their presence known in the looting areas.
Looking at these pictures is like looking at the tsunami videos from December or some Third World country.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center