Jax Chris
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Sep 01 2005 08:08 PM
Re: Tropical Depression 14 Forms in Central Atlantic, No Threat to Land

Quote:

Amazing video! WOW.

Did anyone see the snow job that FEMA Director Chertoff did at his news conference? What he said does not mesh with what the video and eye witness accounts at the city show. "We are bringing in thousands and thousands of gallons of water for the survivors." Not according to the thousands at the Convention Center (where three people were murdered last night and several were raped). I realize that public officials must keep morale up, but it is clear (from viewing the video, hearing the people, and listening to the streaming police and fire scanners), and will be made clear when it is revealed how many died of thirst/hunger/lack of security, etc. that Chertoff was completely out of touch with the reality of the situation.

The mayor of New Orleans just sent out "a desperate S.O.S." Sure Director Chertoff.... I believe you. What a farce of a press conference.

I see that Chetoff didn't say, "We have brought thousands and thousands of gallons...," he said, "We are bringing..." Since you're saying that he's incorrect, you are contending that there's no water on the way. Please, tell us the source that leads you to believe that no water is on the way. Or, if the problem is you think that water has taken too long to get there, where would you have shipped the water from, over what routes, and how would you have delivered the water to its final destination in the Superdome? What leads you to believe that those routes are available?

You also indicate that a supply of water would have prevented murders and rapes. I can imagine some circumstances where a water supply would prevent murders, but I would appreciate it if you could explain how a source of water would prevent rapes. I guess I'm just dense; I would contend that people having respect for each other would have prevented these alleged (since I've not heard reports, but I'll admit that they possibly did occur) murders and rapes.

I don't expect answers to these questions, especially since this isn't the correct forum for this discussion. But the tone has gotten increasingly shrill, and seems to have descended into attempting to manufacture evidence that people involved in handling the disaster aren't doing all that can be done to ease the situation. Sitting back, arm-chair quaterbacking, is easy. "I'd get them food." Fine. From where? How much? How to get it there? Can we go all the way by road, or are parts impassable? If we need to change from one form of transportation to another, where can that be done? What could we have used the space to bring in if we didn't bring in food; insulin, for example? How do we distribute it at the end without causing a riot? It's these little details of actually doing it that are hard.

Well, I guess I've made my first post that'll get sent to the graveyard (except for this sentence saying it'll be sent to the graveyard, and the moderator's note, "You got that right"). But these constant complaints about the disaster management team not living up to an impossible standard are getting tiring.

Jax Chris

i'm not gonna graveyard it, but other mods might...but you didn't get it right either

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center