zacros
(Weather Hobbyist)
Fri Sep 02 2005 09:40 AM
Re: Katrina's Influence

I think that I have finally heard enough complaining about the response of our officials to the situation on the GulfCoast. When I think about how I would handle such an immense operation, I am overwhelmed. Please remember that the day after the storm, no one realized that New Orleans was about to get flooded. Please remember that Katrina was still making her way up the Mississippi River, knocking out power and further reducing anyones ability to respond. Please remember that there is no power and no phones in the area; thereby making communication extremely difficult. Without effective communication, it is impossible to organize the response needed to this type of disaster in a matter of days. As well, the shear amount of water and damage to infrastructure in the city and the surronding areas (including MS and AL) make it nearly impossible to move around the city and the surronding area. Please remember that National Guard troops are somewhere else with there families and lives when this type of situation occurrs and it takes time to mobalize them to the area. Please remember that resources were already stretched thin by the amount of response required in Florida last year. Please remember that for every decision to direct resources at one problem, another gets left alone; thus allowing those just sitting there watching to cry that nothing is being done. Please remember that you can volunteer to help as well, and, instead of complaining, offer to lend a hand.

I, for one, would like to see all of the newscasters in the area step in to help out instead of reporting (note the number of aerial shots of people stranded) that not enough is being done. This is rediculous and does not help the situation. Sorry for my rant, remove it if necessary, but after you do, at least encourage people to help instead of complain.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center