Random Chaos
(Weather Analyst)
Thu Sep 08 2005 12:45 AM
Re: Tropical Storm Ophelia Forms off Florida East Coast

Quote:

i meant i find it hard to believe that the pressure can drop that much without a wind change, i doubt the winds are still 50

Pressure often drops in advance of a wind increase. In fact, the latest Vortex recon from about 8pm shows the pressure drop to 994mb and a FL wind drop to 42kt, down 8kt from the 5pm recon. I would expect a wind increase before the next recon based on the pressure falls.

HCW - Using Katrina doesn't help explain anything - she didn't do anything by the book. Katrina had a pressure fall and eyewall expansion at the same time at one point. That should not be possible under normal hurricane growth.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center