Random Chaos
(Weather Analyst)
Mon Sep 12 2005 11:25 AM
Re: 00z models

Ok, I'm giving a quick paraphrase of the 2nd paragraph of the 5am discussion from NHC: "We have no clue where she's going, and the models aren't helping."

Here's the original, unparaphrased one: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT1+shtml/120907.shtml

Thats how I read it. Looking at the models, here in MD with NE exposure, I'm not liking her track. It's better for a storm to go inland than along the coast becuase of wind direction.

The model consensus is continuing to drift eastward, now just skirting NC before shooting up almost on the coast until Canada. However, we have seen Ophelia refuse to move before when we expected her too, and we've seen that her sitting and drifting has a major influence on the long term path. With CMC sending her south, NOGAPS not moving her, GFS taking her inland then northeast, and UKMET keeping her along the coast...I still think anything's possible.

Looking at IR...she looks sick. So much dry air in her, so little convection. Yet somehow she's holding on the hurricane strength. If she moves over warm water again, she could regain her form...and possibly grow. Something to watch whenever she actually starts moving.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center