danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Fri Sep 16 2005 04:04 AM
Re: Ophelia Sideswipes the North Carolina Coast

I'm trying to get back on track here. Doesn't seem to be working very well.

Clark and Hank. Thanks for the nightly updates. I now have a feel on whats going on and what to expect for the next week.

Would you happen to have any better news?

Katrina began her turn toward the NW just west of the Loop Current. That's been over 17 days ago. I would think that the currents could have replaced some of the upwelling with warmer water.
Read-dangerous situation west of 89 W. No clouds and very little precip over the Central and Western GOM in several weeks, perhaps months.

slightly off topic
Biloxi TV Met is slowing the cool front/ trough down to a Saturday passage in Biloxi. Originally progged for a Thursday passage. I guess the slower movement could work in our favor (ridge to block the Northern GOM).

I was hoping for about 6 hours of a slow drizzle. The Katrina Tinderbox is as about as dry as it can get.
The NWS here is putting out Burn Ban warnings every 12 hours for the last 4 or 5 days.
The fires out West could pale in comparison to any conflagration that starts here.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center