Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sun Sep 18 2005 02:48 AM
Re: 96L

Quote:

No longer 96L...now TD18 according to NHC.

They have a few problems with the list - stuff under TD18 includes both Ophelia and TD18 right now...depending on the item. I wonder if maybe they only can support 5 systems on the website setup so they're retiring Ophelia from their page before it goes extratropical?

I noticed that too... but we had 3 named storms earlier in the season (Katrina, Lee, and Maria I think - at least). I suspect that Ophelia has been declared extratropical as of 11pm. The 11am advisory indicated that the transition was expected within 12 hours, didn't it?

Philippe is a definate fish spinner, thankfully. Hopefully it stays that way.

The odd thing about TD 18 is that the last IR imagery I looked at made it look very badly defined. But I've been unable to get IRL Monterey site to load most of today, and SSD has not moved a floater to it yet, or hadn't last time I checked. The forecast track is certainly more encouraging than I anticipated, but 5 days out it's hard to trust right now.

Maybe by tomorrow the NHC will have corrected their headings.

ETA: They initially issued the statements for TD 18 under the wrong heading... that has been fixed now, per the corrected advisory package at NHC. I guess they haven't sent out the latest package for Ophelia - probably discovered the mistake when they went to send it out LOL

ETA 2: Ophelia has officially been declared extratropical. The NHC has issued its final advisory, despite the fact that the Canadian Hurricane Center has maintained its watches and warnings for Nova Scotia and other locations. Landfall of Ophelia is expected overnight.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center