Colleen A.
(Moderator)
Mon Sep 19 2005 05:46 PM
I Wonder......

If you are in area that is under a watch or warning (or both), if there is any type of law or special circumstance that would allow you to prepare your home no matter what the bosses say. I don't know of any, but you may be able to call your county EMA and ask them about this.
I wonder how many businesses in NO wishes they had closed two days earlier....I betcha if they had to do it all over again, they'd make a different decision.
If all else fails, you can just DO IT. I did during a snowstorm in Atlanta about 15 years ago. The snow began falling pretty heavily and I asked my boss if I could leave at noon since I didn't want to be stuck on the highway with people who don't get the concept of driving in the snow. He said no. It got worse as the morning progressed, and I asked him again and got the same reply. Told him I was going to leave at noon unless he wanted to pay any expenses I incurred in an accident. He told me he would fire me, I said "Go ahead, Frank. I don't care. You CANNOT forbid me from protecting myself in a dangerous situation and I highly doubt that a judge would agree with you if you fired me for this." He never did.
Of course, I realize this is not an easy step to take, but you are the only one looking out for you!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center