danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Tue Sep 20 2005 03:08 AM
Recon

I've reviewed the Recon data. The dropsonde sampled the NW area of the center. The 992mb is slightly high for her current wind speeds. But we are dealing with weather here, and nothing is written in stone.
Possibility that the NE Quadrant could reveal a lower pressure...once they complete the remaining legs.

My observation was off on the initial flight leg. Recon entered from the SE and flew NW. Normal procedures would be for them to turn and fly the western side of the storm. Then turn inbound once again and fly the SW and NE quadrants. That would give another Vortex message in around 90 minutes.

They have several flight patterns that they can use. Rita doesn't have an eye an I would think that the absence of the Eye would make it a bit harder to find the center. Having to determine the fix by temperature, wind direction and barometric pressure. With an Eye present, they could fly a radar fix.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center