ShanaTX
(Storm Tracker)
Wed Sep 21 2005 01:36 PM
Re: 5 AM EDT Advisory

They're evacuating the Astrodome because it's not safe in a hurricane - it has a glass roof!. All the NOLA evacuees that were still in shelters along the coast (including the Astrodome) were flown either to Arkansas or Tenn. Mostly to Arkansas.

At this point, with Rita as big as she is - I don't think there's a 'best' place for it to hit Texas - Bret hit Kenedy County as did Allen (I think) but Rita is bigger. The 'worst' place? The place I know best is Galveston and up the Houston ship channel. You can see what a catastrophic hurricane might do in this video that the Harris County OEM put together - The Serpent's Coil at http://www.hcoem.org/videos.htm there are other videos there too about hurricanes and Harris County.

Well, now some tv mets here are saying we'll see TS winds and some are saying hurricane winds here. Guess it will be pretty close!

I'm still trying to figure out Rita's physical size vs other hurricanes like Katrina and Carla...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center