flarrfan
(Verified CFHC User)
Wed Sep 21 2005 02:32 PM
Re: Lake Ponchartrain and New Orleans

Quote:

Hi,
I´m a storm tracker and meteorologist from Germany. F
I have a question: Given that Rita heads for Texas. What would be the "best" location to make landfall there and what the "worst"?

Worst obviously is the major metro area of Galveston/Houston, with its important port, oil facilities, and two million plus people. Best scenario would be a SW deviation from current forecast track, bring it in about midway between Corpus Christi and Brownsville. Aside from vacation homes and condos along the narrow South Padre barrier island, there is almost nothing on the mainland aside from large cattle ranches. One of the counties south of CC has, per my atlas, a population of less than 500 people in an area about half the size of Harris County (Houston). So wishcasters need to keep that high pressure ridge in place and steer the storm west without any north turns, for the least damage and destruction.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center