Genesis
(Weather Guru)
Thu Sep 22 2005 02:30 AM
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf

Well, like I said - I'm not freaking out - yet.

I have no reason to believe that the Panhandle is "under the gun" on this one. But - it appeared for the last 24 hours that my own workup - showing a bullseye on Galveston - was not jiving with the NHC. I have some friends in that general area and while they were expecting a storm, they did not have the urgency to get out - even though they're being told to.

I told them where I thought it was going. They said they'd buy more beer. I told them to put the beer in the truck along with all their valuables, papers, and wardrobe and get the @!@$#!@ out! Drink the beer in a hotel room - 200 or more miles inland!

Hopefully they'll listen.... to me, to official requests and evac orders, to the NHC.....

There are no real good solutions on the table for this thing going in right now. I personally think the western edge of my expected impact area still hoses Galveston badly, while the eastern edge probably puts enough rain and surge into NO to cause trouble there. I'm not buying a further westward/southward impact than that at this point, and I don't see an impact east of NO unless something really wild was to happen with the high over Texas (for which there is NO model support)... but I could be wrong!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center