tpratch
(Moderator)
Thu Sep 22 2005 03:01 AM
Re: Category 5 Hurricane Rtia Moves Westward in the Gulf

My brother-in-law, who runs a restaurant on Galveston Island, got his wife and 4 kids out of there this afternoon. He was going to board up his restaurant, and then stay to ride things out.

Fortunately, we had the opportunity to speak with him. I don't have much fear in me. In my younger days, I would go thrill seeking. That being said, I draw the line at Cat 3. If there's a Cat 4/5 coming? Get the Hell out! You do NOT ride out a Cat 4/5 - they ride you...

Don't listen to possibilities of weakening prior to landfall. True or false, Rita will be carrying Cat 5 storm surge with her. Remember the 27+ foot (33' in places reported) surge from Katrina? I'm afraid we'll see a new high-water mark set with Rita. If you are within 10 miles of the coast, and less than 30 feet above sea-level, there should be NO debate. Load up, get what you need, and get gone.

YMMV SPSFD

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center