pryord1
(Weather Watcher)
Thu Sep 22 2005 01:56 PM
Re: curvature of earth....and distance from equator

Quote:

Pry,

I would not think that far east is called for. The upper air dynamics won't allow for it to move that far east. But that is not to say, that the Panhandle won't start feeling the effects though. Remember, Rita is a rather large storm now, almost the size of Katrina. So you should start feeling her tonight in not by late this afternoon.

We already see some good E winds and a few rain bands moved through last night. I live on East Bay and the bay has been trucking pretty solidly to the east since yesterday afternoon. Even though we were a good distance from Katrina (only in the watch area) we still saw 70 mph sustained here. We're still trying to recover from Ivan, TS Arlene, TS Cindy and Dennis, who hit us dead-on- all within the last year. So I hope you understand my skittishness. Thanks for the info!

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center