collegemom
(Weather Hobbyist)
Thu Sep 22 2005 06:04 PM
Re: new plots by NHC

I received this email from my ex sis in law who has 4 kids and no husband. She's a cool cookie I say.

We can not leave because there is NO GASOLINE to be purchased anywhere. All the stations have sold out and a huge evacuation is in progress. It's 1 a.m. now & the streets are bumper to bumper. We went to the grocery store....all the water is sold out...all the peanut butter, etc....it's incredible. Those who plan to stay have asked me for permission to use my swimming pool water if necessary---for drinking and for flushing their toilets.

It took me 3 hours to drive home from work (24miles distance). I have not heard from Patricia or Danny yet. I have at times been unable to use my cell phone because it's so 'busy'. I was able to contact Dad's phone & leave a message. My home phone has been disconnected----because Robert was making phone calls on it in the middle of the night and ran up a long distance bill---so, decreased those happenings fairly easily='plan disconnect'...Ha. So at the moment we just have the cell phone.

Brooklynne and I tried driving to another town....no luck...no gas....people are leaving in droves with their BOATS and CAMPERS----and some with luggage strapped on top their vehicles. The stress level is very high---drivers yelling at each other---no rules of courtesy for the road!

There are 4 families on our street who are planning to stay. They have taped their windows and have sandbags.....some of them feel we would only get strong winds. They also told me how they plan to cook food and between everyone on the street we should have enough food for all.

On the radio they were talking about winds that would blow your door open and possibly expect broken windows and roof damage....who knows. However, plan "B" is we could possible siphon gas from Marc's '75 Oldsmobile if necessary.

I'm going to bed. We'll work on this in the morning. ( I could have done without the knowledge that my housing edition had been built upon a previous rice growing field....it was an excellent spot for flooding and growing rice!). Twenty yrs ago they grew a lot of rice in Katy--the main crop.

More later,
LaCresha

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center