J K
(Registered User)
Thu Sep 22 2005 07:33 PM
Re: Wind Strength

Quote:

No...it's definitely not a linear... But as I insinuated, I wasn't sure. Come to think about it, the relationship when increasing wind velocity and the amount of force the wind imparts on exposed surfaces, goes like: the lower end of cat 3 (111 mph) to the lower end of cat 1 (74 and change) doubles the amount of force

In any event, my apologies for not being more specific; the exact relationship formula has slipped my mind. If you go on the web and Google "wind speed to force relationship" or phrases similar, you can find material... Otherwise, I'm too lazy to go all the way down stairs and them through my old texts!

To answer your question, the relationship between kinetic energy and velocity is KE=1/2mass times (velocity squared) or KE=1/2 m*(v^2). And enery is any force (of a wind) times a distance. Therefore, you can relate the Force of the wind is proportional to the velocity squared of the wind. Plug in any two wind speeds to find the difference in the energy.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center