funky
(Weather Hobbyist)
Thu Sep 22 2005 10:17 PM
Re: not to belabor the point

Quote:

The Eddy Vortex doesn't seem to be that large of an entity. Is it just a convergence of local currents causing a warm zone?

i'm no expert, but it looks like it would be quite a large area of deep warm water. think of it as a whirlpool, like at the end of niagra falls where it goes into a corner area. the water is spun around and thus sinks down before leaving the area. thus, the warm surface water is sucked down deep below the surface. i would think that that is plenty of warm water for rita to gain strength.

i'm calling for 165 mph winds tomorrow morning, with a gradual decrease as it landfalls at 135-145 mphs. either way, that hurts.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center