Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sat Sep 24 2005 07:52 AM
Re: rita delivers

It is hard watching the radar when you know what is happening on the ground. Katrina was worse for me knowing my brother was out in the storm rescuing people in the ATV until the surge hit.

Startiing about 0700Z (2am CDT) on the Lake Charles radar you can see the eye coming ashore between Sabine and Constance Beach. Looks like it came in with the west side of the eyewall just touching the TX/LA border, looks to be heading up the state line. NHC couldn't have called this one better, once again (nothing has been said though about the circulation possibly going back out into the Gulf). Looking like the center of the eye making landfall like 2:45am. For a minute I thought the Lake Chas radar was gone, but it came back. Lake Charles the largest community getting the bit hit, also Lafayette, and all those little coastal communities up to about 15 mi inland, to the east of the eye, probably devastated. Wondering how far to the east the coast took a hard hit; I would think all the way to Plaquemines Parish, although I'm kind of hoping it wasn't that bad east of Pecan Island. What a difference for this hurricane, having the major population centers inland; still very sad, especially because now the remaining part of the LA coast getting a direct hit, when they had more than they already needed to deal with from Katrina. Places like Grand Isle getting a pretty hefty hit twice in a row, too.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center