mojorox
(Weather Watcher)
Mon Sep 26 2005 05:17 AM
Re: Extended Models

Yes, it did smell like dead animals. By day there were bobcats, backhoes, helicopters and chainsaws. Whenever a car or truck drove fast on the street it stirred up a cloud of drywall dust and fiberglass which about choked us. There was a ban on any open fires as it had not rained since the storm, at least not till the outer bands of Rita started coming in.

At night we were the only ones on the street and we were armed in our tent as every so often a strange car would slowly drive up the street and as we were two women alone...You could see through the houses where the surge had taken out the walls of the houses coming and going.

In the tree above our tent hung trophys and stuffed animals among other things from peoples houses. We salvaged exactly enough to fill one tote. My sis was devestated.

I came home and slept for the best part of two days and I still feel shellshocked. It truly was like someone had dropped a bomb on the place. I can't begin to convey the destruction and how I feel after the experience. I think it will take a while to get over it. I went through Charlie last year and this was nothing like what I experienced then. I feel for the people who are living there right now.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center