danielwAdministrator
(Moderator)
Thu Sep 29 2005 12:52 AM
Waveland

Quote:

I don't know about 35 ft...but FIVE people drowned ON TOP OF the Kmart in Waveland....they recovered an alliagtor our of there too.
35 ft is in the realm of possibility. Incredible...literally.
MM

I used to work the Bay St Louis/ Waveland area, and I find it hard to believe that someone on the top of the Kmart building would/ could drown.
The intersection SW of the building is benchmarked at 14ft above sealevel. and the contour north of the store,(running east to west) is at 10ft above sea level.
The roof would be in the 30-34ft above sea level range.
The closest body of water to the store would be the GOM Beach(SSE) at 1.4nm. And the Bay of St Louis(NE) at 1.5nm.
I've seen Frank's pictures and I know that the water did reach these heights at his house. But that was around 100yds or less from the Gulf of Mexico (Mississippi Sound).

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center