MapMaster
(Weather Guru)
Thu Sep 29 2005 01:46 AM
Re: Waveland

Just food for thought...KMart is less than 2 miles from the Gulf; I-10, miles further north, had watermarks 2 feet from the top of the embankment (saw them myself and documented by survey pics) AND in some spots, I-10 was OVERTOPPED and there are debris lines in the trees 100 feet PAST the interstate, higher than the road. And debris from waves hanging in the trees...

In some spots, we saw watermarks in the median of the highway....

How did that happen? Water flowed UNDER the interstate where there was a drainage way and piled up against the trees, and then against the NORTH side of the enbankment when it tried to drain BACK to the Gulf- the interstate acted as a dam, water actually flowed back OVER it going out, in some places. And, the constriction (overpass) increased the velocity. The overpass at 603 and I-10 in Hancock was undermined by the velocity flow...emergency work had to be done to fill in the embankment...miles from the Gulf. This is only about a mile or so SOUTH of the Hancock relocated EOC (at the school), btw.

If I hadn't seen it, I too would dismiss it...but it really happened...will be studied for years as THE worst storm surge in American history due to a hurricane storm.

How high was that.?...at least 35 feet, probably higher in spots. With wave action on top in some locations.

Amazing, but true..I saw this myself, as did other members of my team.

MM

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center