TDW
(Weather Watcher)
Sat Oct 01 2005 01:21 PM
Re: development-impaired

regarding the distances between Mars and Earth - I believe the closest approach was in 2003 and it was around the closest in 60,000 years. About every 26 months the Earth and Mars are on the same side of the sun. The next time Mars is closer than 2003 is 2287 with an even closer approach in 2729.

I'm not sure how much affect Mars has on systems on earth. The tidal force of Mars is about 1 million times less than the tidal force of the moon (even with Mars at its closest).

I saw a recent paper that mentions that meteor dust may have a significant infulence of weather patterns. It seems a 33 foot wide meteor last year was charted as it burned up in the atmosphere. It left 2.2 million pounds of dust in the atmosphere.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center