Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Tue Oct 04 2005 12:00 PM
Re: Hurricane Stan Approaches Mexico, And More on Bahamas Wave

Well what the?...I wake up and go look at the sat images and Stan has made a beeline for the SW overnight, and is likely to make landfall before the 10am advisory.

I estimated right on the intensity yesterday, but apparently for the wrong reason...after Stan left the shallow deep warm coastal waters, he continued to intensify, and looks to be still doing so.

Trying to understand this...Last night noticed a lot of convection curving along the coastline (part of a feeder band curving all the way around west of the storm, then north, then southeast past Cuba and bringing up Carribean warmth?), and this seems to have all merged into one big mass of convection with the storm, now. But this morning, looking at the sat image, also notice that overnight there was a lot of convection occuring on the west coast of MEX as well, and wondering if this is another feeder band that is curving in from the south and hooking up with the storm from the east. Is the storm obtaining some of its energy from the Pacific at this point? Also I'd assume the faster forward speed is a factor, preventing upwelling of cooler water under the warm SSTs.

edit -- reviewing the overnight stuff, NHC had to issue a special discussion at 1am to change the track, the speed, and the intensity.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center