Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Wed Oct 05 2005 10:32 AM
Re: Looks Like We Might Have Tammy

Quote:

With the winds already reported with this system, will they upgrade to Tammy...or list this as TD #21??
--Lou

Based upon the NHC TWO... It will be directly designated as T.S. Tammy shortly. I say this because the TWO said a Tropical Cyclone had formed - it did not say a Tropical Depression. They may not yet know how strong the maximum winds are, and may wait until recon is in before naming it, however.

Chad Myers is saying it will run up the east coast - which is contrary to ALL of the computer models the last time I checked (which all forecast it to enter the GOM and basically hit me, or come close to me and then head back NE across the state again). Looking at the current models for 92L on WU, they show it moving parrallel to the coast but on shore.. except for NOGAPS which has it moving into the central GOM. NONE of them have it hitting Georgia (which is what Chad said it would do). What the heck was he basing his forecast on???

By the way... the movement on radar appears to be very slow, but WNW to my eyes (or due west as Daniel pointed out after my initial post). It may make landfall near Melborne before the NHC gets around to sending a plane into it... circulation looks VERY close to land. Any word on where the warnings will be put up for, or what the forecast track officially will be?

Added: From the MLB NWS office:
NOW...
...TROPICAL CIRCULATION DEVELOPING EAST OF MELBOURNE...
AT 545 AM...MELBOURNE RADAR DETECTED THE FORMATION OF A WEAK
CIRCULATION CENTER 30 MILES EAST OF MELBOURNE. THE CIRCULATION WAS
MOVING SLOWLY NORTH NORTHWEST PARALLEL TO THE COASTLINE.

Well so much for what my eyes were tellijng me about a due west/wnw motion, I guess. And where is the advisory on this thing? NHC TWO said 30 minutes ago that there would be a special advisory issued shortly. Weather Channel just said that the hurricane hunters found a circulation - but TWO said they were just standing by, not that they had even gone into the system! Is everyone on a different page with this thing???

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center