Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Wed Oct 05 2005 01:37 PM
Re: 93L

Quote:

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but is the LLC exiting the Yucatan the same LLC that was Stan? I noticed that the computer models are using the convection on the east side of the Yucatan. If this LLC crosses out will it still be invest 93 or will it be Stan again?

Thanks, Jackie

No...read further.

But first -- OK I'm sorry to keep harping on Stan's remnants but will someone please take a look at Floater 1 and tell me if I am seeing things, or does the 2nd group of convection in the Pacific (the one further to the west) also have an element of rotation? It is really hard for me to tell with the other so close by (which BTW is now invest 90E) and the shear pattern. I thought it might earlier today and then thought I better not mention it because you'd all think I was seeing too many things, but it appears that also has a circulation. Jeez Louise.

The LLC of Stan dissipated against the mountains of central Mexico, but the ULC remained fairly intact (IMHO). Yesterday evening two areas of very strong convection formed along what had been a strong feeder band of Stan's that came in from the Pacific. As the ULC moved out this morning, it merged with the rightmost area of convection, which I would call Stan, or Stan2 or whatever.

Yesterday the other strong feeder band had been arcing out of the west of Stan, over the top of the Yucatan, and into the Carribean. As Stan moved inland, that band moved south over the Yucatan and generated some amazing convection. This morning, that pulled away from the weakening circulation of Stan's ULC and started being sucked into the Carribean, where it is moving NE (unfortunately to go over the loop current, but it has no circuation, or so I thought, until it became 93L). Actually -- I don't know if it is that bloom of convection that is 93L, or the LLC some are saying they see moving out of the Yucatan, or if they are the same thing...lack of expertise. Can't find a good close up image of that area now (looks like they're going to run out of floaters!).

Yesterday the future Tammy was being posted to death and so I just kept looking at Stan and kept seeing interesting things happening. Promise until I understand more about 93L I won't say the dreaded words, "loop current."

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center