typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Fri Oct 07 2005 05:29 PM
Re: Nothing Imminent but Plenty of Waves

Quote:

There is a well-defined surface circulation near the GA coast right now... it's too small and too close to land for much tropical development, but it will enhance the tornado threat across coastal areas of northern GA and the Carolinas, where a Tornado Watch has recently been issued.

That's an interesting little feature isn't it... Actually, if I didn't know any better I'd suggest we are looking at at supercell. Notice when looking at visible imagery that the area on it's backside suddenly clears out, as a band extends cyclonically in its right exit region as the system moves N. This is classic. We see this in the Plains states during severe weather outbreaks. Basically, dry air/subsidence into the back side is clearing it out as the ingest on the front side draws in warm unstable air. This way, the warm ingest is not being impeded by the relatively stable air on the backside and the storm is allowed to perpetuate - i.e., supercell. Doesn't necessarily mean a tornado is on the ground or anything like that, but, it is wise to have a tornado watch in effect for the areas N and NE along the coastal plain of SC. Fascinating.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center