typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Sun Oct 09 2005 07:41 PM
Re: Tropical Storm Vince forms in the Far Eastern Atlantic

Clark,
That is true, it is more important to note the sounding data for profiling what environments are conducive.. In fact, I'm sure you have heard of "Arctic Low" phenomenon as well... Very similar, very fascinating.

The fact of the matter is (which from the sounds of it you are aware) the very distinction between cyclones is a complicated one...

The lowest common denominator is the corriolis force...So long as you have upward moving air and convergent replacement at the surface, that is all you really need... Don't mean to preach to the quire but there are multiple reasons to get this upward moving air going; tropical mechanics are just one.. What is really amazing about all this is that you can start out with a baroclinic system and end up with a barotropic one (1991) if conditions are right. In fact, on on-camera meteorologist friend of mine has often said (and I agree) that you almost cannot have a hurricane moving into middle latittudes and interacting with the westerlies without some kind of hybrid argument...

Trust me; you know a lot!
Peace

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center