typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Fri Oct 14 2005 03:45 AM
Re: devil's advocate

Yeah, you know - that brings up a good question... Unless the any given tropical cyclone in question develops off the tail end of a frontal drape, or perhaps even rarer, an upper level low that bores its way to the surface and transitions, they all come off of waves from Africa. Which therein one must ask, 'aren't they all Cape Verde'.

May be some philosophy to iron out there - i don't know - but I think for the point at hand, the systems that did develop out there, weren't they really pretty weak before getting to 50W?? When I think of a "solid Cape Verde" storm, I want to harken to 2004; i.e., Isabel and the like - yeah know? Those were definitely intense and highly evolved way the heck out there; more like they came off Africa and didn't waste any time. This year, if I amy quote Dr. Gray, "They've all been Bahama bombers"... I think there are others who feel as I do, that true-ish Cape Verde season this has not been. However, there have been systems that did evolve well enough E of of the Islands...

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center