Margie
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Sat Oct 15 2005 02:53 PM
Re: Watching Near Jamaica

Thanks Ron B, that is the kind of info I was hoping someone would post.

It looks like this thing will be perfectly happy hanging out in the NW Caribbean for some days, going WSW towards Honduras and Nicaragua, and then W or NW, north of Honduras, taking that last available name...and if it stays there, in the warm water of the extreme NW Caribbean, next week we may all be watching on the edge of our seats (again), depending on where it is going to be steered, if it'll round Cuba into the GOM, and if conditions will be favorable there.

But even if it makes landfall in Central America and only makes it to Cat 1 status, it'll still use up the last name on the list. Then with six weeks still left, the 2005 season could be making history once again this year.

What I'd be interested in hearing is some discussion on...fast forward back to 48 hours ago, "tropics are quiet, not favorable for development." Everything looks so different on sat today, all cleaned up (except for poor Central America). After days and days of that trough, big changes the last couple days in the western ATL and Caribbean. It really caught me off guard; I'd been lulled into complacency. What precipitated the changes? What should I have been looking for?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center