typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Sat Oct 15 2005 06:08 PM
Re: Watching Near Jamaica

actually...elevation plays more of role, more like a tremendous, gigantic role... distance island, believe it or not, is less and inhibitor than taking a circulation field and attempting to impinge it against a wall of mountains that pokes up above the mean boundary-pause... In the end, loss of lower boundary layer coupling with the heat content of the SST is will is a factor, too, but in terms of distruction of established mechanical wind momentum, mountains of more important.

the boundary-pause is the level where the atmosphere becomes less influenced by friction with the land and what is refered to as Eikeman Layer turbulance in the pbl its self. Above about 3,000 to 5,000, feet depending on your thermodynamic values and advection parameters (i.e, strong latter pgf can help in establishing a deeper mixing level and a huge potential instability will also turn the boundary layer over and mix to greater heights), is where the turbulence of the boundary layer gives way to gradient wind. If a topographical obstruction to wind field extends to a meager 2,200 feet or so, then this does not imply enough vertical extent to inhibit the entraining air flow. It will be lesser inhibited along the established angular momentum and the circulation of the system may just run right over the top and barely be touched... . Cuba does not offer this disruption. There has been extensive study about tropical cyclone interaction with Cuba; I'm not making this stuff up...

Yes, I have a formal degree in Meteorology..

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center