MikeCAdministrator
(Admin)
Mon Oct 17 2005 11:30 AM
Tropical Storm Wilma Forms in the Western Caribbean

Tropical Depression 24 has become Tropical Storm Wilma. The 21st named storm. This is the highest the modern naming convention has reached to, and ties the 1933 record of number of tropical storms for the year. There exist no more 2005 names for the Atlantic basin.

Wilma's track has shifted more westward, and the official track calls for it to clip the Yucatan. Trends have been toward the west, so at the moment I still think a more westward motion is the most likely, generally falling along the National Hurricane Center's track.

Image courtesy SkeetobiteWeather.com
Comments/Feedback on the maps look here.

There may be an eventual turn north, so those along the gulf will want to keep a watch on it. But for now, discussing landfall in any particular United States location is premature. I'm not sold on the ridge breaking down enough for it to move much north at all, at least in the next several days.

IF you go by models, only one major model suggests a northward motion, and this is what concerns me for the US, but most of the models continue it westward.

At this time it seems prudent that we watch it, but I'd imagine those on the Yucatan should be watching it more. I'm in the camp that thinks it will stay further south and west, but it is still vital to watch trends over time. We have time to watch and prepare if something were to occur.

Event Related Links
Stormcarib reports from the islands

"Spaghetti" style model plots from Colorado State / Jonathan Vigh

Wilma

Animated Model Plot of Wilma

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center