floridafamily
(Registered User)
Tue Oct 18 2005 05:26 AM
Re: Tropical Storm Wilma Forms in the Western Caribbean

First let me say that I am sorry this question is going to be ignorant. (Also sorry if this is asked in the wrong place) I know it is too soon to tell where Wilma will make landfall, but I'm trying to be prepared. (We are located in Englewood, FL.) Where would be the safest place to evacuate to?

i wouldn't worry about evacuating unless you're in a flood prone area, until there exists a large chance that winds will breach your home. that won't exist for a few days. if the center of the storm were to landfall near englewood.. the best place would be well to the north around ocala or something for a very strong storm. otherwise i'd just secure everything as best as possible and go to a local shelter. again, unless there's a good chance your home would be inundated... staying at the house for anything less than a cat 3 would be safe enough. -HF

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center