charlottefl
(Weather Hobbyist)
Tue Oct 18 2005 09:32 AM
Re: Crossing Florida?

This is kind of a bit off topic but in response to the user from englewood's question. I live in Charlotte county. Half of Englewood also lies in Charlotte county. This is a very vunerable area because I would say roughly 80-90% of the county is 15 feet above sea level or below. I am a mile and a half from the Harbor in Port Charlotte and we are only 8 1/2 feet above sea level. There are no Shelters for a category 3 Hurricane because of elevation. Our Flood maps show almost all of Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, and Englewood, or three major population centers would be under water in only a cat 3, we're talkin almost 150,000 people. So my advice is to watch the forcasts very closely and if you have any doubts take a trip for the weekend. It never hurts to be to careful, but once you stay and the strom is on top of you you have no where to go. That applies to anwhere in FL right now because this far out it could hit anywhere . The key is preparation. Wish everyone in the state the best of luck.

Hurricane Charley '04 (Port Charlotte)

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center