MissBecky
(Weather Guru)
Tue Oct 18 2005 04:48 PM
Re: In 34202 and getting nervous....

Fort Myers NBC affiliate has finally decided to notice Wilma. From the station's website:

Computer models have come into good agreement, with last night's versions showing that Wilma will track slowly northwest today and Wednesday, turning slowly to the north on Thursday and through the Yucatan Channel on Friday.

From there, the storm heads northeast, with models ranging from Wilma crossing over the Florida Keys to landfalls near Charlotte or Sarasota counties.

Because the storm is still several days away and conditions may change, all Floridians need to be prepared for the possibility of hurricane conditions in four or five days.

As the storm progresses the forecast will be refined, but as of now it appears Wilma will be a quick-moving storm, producing 4-6 inches of rain.

The main threat from Wilma should be wind and a potential storm surge.

All Southwest Florida residents should continue to monitor this storm closely.

I'm glad they're talking about this early, so people here have plenty of time to make their preparations. I think the prevailing attitude here is, "What?? I thought hurricane season was over!"

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center