Frank P
(Veteran Storm Chaser)
Tue Oct 18 2005 08:06 PM
Re: Just some thought....yea right...

Another critical factor that everyone needs to understand is that IF it indeed gets to major status, especially in the 4/5 range, but still weakens as it goes inland, which some are predicting.... it can still bring with it a much greater surge than expected .... case in point, and perhaps the hurricane which might have saved my life was Ivan... it weaken to a Cat 2/3 from being a strong Cat 4 in the GOM, but brought with it a Cat 4/5 surge (life saving lessoned learned)... and Katrina, which was a powerful Cat 5 but weakened to a Cat 3/4 going inland and still brought with it a super Cat 5 surge... also the angle of the approaching storm will also play a factor in how high the surge is... as well as how big the wind field, and how long that field generates winds in excess of 75 mph.. all contribute to the destructiveness of the surge... I've got a confirmed storm surge of 31 feet in my neighborhood from Katrina.... just be warned, if it does cranks up, just because it winds might weaken somewhat as it approaches land, that doesn't mean the surge is going to be less..... and take it from someone who knows first hand... surge can cause a hell of a lot more damage, destruction and death than just straight line wind.... IF YOU ARE IN A FLOOD/SURGE ZONE GET THE HECK OUT... everyone that I've talked to that experience Katrina's surge WILL NEVER experience another one first hand... and I've talked to quite a few

Frank P, still homeless and waiting for that darn FEMA trailer....

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center