Beaumont, TX
(Storm Tracker)
Wed Oct 19 2005 01:09 AM
Re: 5PM Disco...

You can avoid being stuck in a lot of traffic. We are very glad we evacuated. But we left at 3 in the morning after most people had
already left. One of the problems with Rita was Houston evacuated (and theirs was voluntary except the coastal parts). They came
up our evacuation routes and filled up our shelters and the hotels. We, of course, had a mandatory evacuation because Rita was
headed for us. Also, Houston didn't have contraflow soon enough. We had it early on. It was still slow but part of that was because
of the Houston traffic coming down 69 (which they weren't supposed to do). Overall, our county did well considering. We flew lots
of people out including Katrina evacuees that had been staying in Beaumont, Port Arthur, etc. Very few stayed here and that was
why the death toll was so low. We had so many HUGE trees in and on houses that I think more would have died if a lot had stayed.
There were people who stayed but about 90% of the county evacuated. It has been a little over three weeks since Rita and most
have electricity but some still don't. You have to think about all of that if you plan to stay. We had NO services in the city
and so for those who stayed it was rough going for about four days. FEMA was slow to respond also. And please, everyone, if you
leave take your pets. Some of the stories I am hearing about pets that were left behind are so sad. It makes me so mad.
I think Wilma will be a major cane when she hits with the way this season is going so be prepared now just incase.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center