typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Wed Oct 19 2005 04:25 AM
Re: Stupid question. . .

Quote:

OK, here's the stupid question of the day. Forgive me, but I'm still learning. Lake Okeechobee is pretty darned big. What type of impact (if any) would it have on Wilma if it were to cross right over it?

Could be dreadful I'm afraid... In 1928 there was a great hurricane; in fact, the first ever official Category 5 hurricane. ...It was also known as the "San Felipe Segundo Hurricane". Anyway, when it made landfall in Palm Beach County it was a Category 4 hurricane. 929 mb and winds "in excess" of 150 mph! Damage along the coastline from the heavy winds and 10-foot storm surge was catastrophic; however the area was only sparsely inhabited at the time.
...Insland the storm crossed the lake...ah...with winds measured on the ground at around 140 mph. Yeah. The low pressure and south-blowing wind caused a storm surge and the resulting flood covered hundreds of square miles with water that in some places was over 20 feet deep. Houses were floated off of their foundations and dashed to pieces against any obstacle they encountered. Most survivors and bodies were washed out into the Everglades where many were never found. As the rear eyewall passed over the area the flood reversed itself, breaking the dikes along the northern coast of the lake and causing a similar but smaller flood.

Now, I wouldn't say this to frighten anyone but sometimes the reality of a situation is paramount. In addition, the dimensions of such a catastrophe are not impossible with Wilma, though we never wish such on anyone! Moreover, Wilma is a going to be much massive in aerial coverage by the time she gets to Florida, because as always...these storms expand as they evolve and also gain latitude... It is important not to focus on the pin point eye. Bottom line....I got a bad feeling here.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center