typhoon_tip
(Meteorologist)
Wed Oct 19 2005 06:06 AM
Re: Wilma Becomes Category 4 Hurricane

Quote:

I think I saw this posted earlier. But I'll respost the comment.
I was just browsing the satellite pages. I am amazed, to say the least at the amount of very high clouds on the satellite pics.
The Weather Channel-(reds) don't do it justice.

Try this link...I'll see if I can find some more.
http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconusir.html

I have attached the image to this post. Click on the "attachment" above.

..If I may venture a supposition.. i think we are making history for a couple of reasons
a) rate of intensity change
b) what will likely become a one of the large events we've seen in terms of circulation envelopment in the atlantic history...

..I say the latter because consider: the pressure is ambiently higher over southern Alabama through SC then it is in the vicinity of Wilma... Where is Wilma slated to go? I am really, really interesting (if not concerned) that the wind field will be considerably larger then people currently think when she's nearing the latitude of the Yucatan Channel, because her phenomenal central core pressure, balanced against a higher ambient pressure field will start to exert a pgf at greater ranges.. Looking a the sat you provided shows that there is plenty of room for her to grow laterally..

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center