Hugh
(Senior Storm Chaser)
Wed Oct 19 2005 11:04 AM
Re: Wilma, Category 5 and Breaking Records

Quote:

I'm not even going to try to speculate on the exact point of landfall, but let's assume it does landfall somwhere on the FL west coast, is any one else thinkin that it's not going to curve QUITE as sharply to the east as the models are predicting? I can see the NE turn but just not seeing how they're getting that sharp of an angle.
Thanks.
Hurricane Charley '04(Port Charlotte, FL)

Funny (not ha ha but ironic), I was just thinking the same thing. The "elbow" effect seems a bit unrealistic, but it is possible if the trough really moves in quickly - possible, but I don't think likely. A more realistic expectation is that there will be a gradual turn... the big question being when it begins and how far east it turns. A slower turn could ultimately mean MORE of a turn, because the trough will move in more. It's all a matter of angles.

ETA: Since the plane is no longer in Wilma (I read what said it was the "last report"), anyone know when we will get confirmation of the intensity? I assume the next plane is 3 hours away or so, based upon the POTD from yesterday. Even though its only for historical buffs, it would be interesting to get confirmation of the strongest hurricane on record.

ETA2: On the 1015 IR (can't see the 1045 yet)... the signature is SLIGHTLY weakened, in my opinion. I hope this means we have seen the peak.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center