misunderestimator
(Registered User)
Wed Oct 19 2005 03:13 PM
Rapid intensifying

The one thing that Katrina, Rita, and Wilma have in common was the incredibly fast intensification. In all cases, this seems to have taken both the NHC and the very smart people on this board by surprise. It seems like yesterday, y'all were saying "maybe this will be a Cat 3" and then within 12 hours it is a Cat 5 monster. I remember the same surprising run-up with Rita. So...why is it that the intensification models and all of the experts were so wrong?

This should not be taken as a slight on the models or experts, I'll repeat that I am in awe of the NHC's ability to get the cone "right" 3 or even 5 days out for these unpredictable forces of nature...but they seem to be off in predicting intensity.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center