mempho
(Verified CFHC User)
Wed Oct 19 2005 04:00 PM
Re: Surge

Quote:

How would the currently projected sharp right turn affect surge? Common sense tells this layman that a Cat 5 surge being pushed in one direction would likely dissipate considerably with the kind of turn and weakening the models are showing. Ivan, Katrina, Rita all came ashore in a relatively straight path from the Cat 5 status, with just a slight NE jog to all of them toward the end. However, if the models are right with Wilma, I have a problem seeing that Cat 5 surge lasting through such a sharp turn. Other thoughts?

I would doubt that it is pushing a Katrina-type surge anyway. Large eyewalls and large geographic storms tend to push more water than their windspeeds and pressure would indicate. Charley was a small (almost midget) hurricane. Storm surge was not as bad with Charley as it would have been had it been a typical Cat 4 in structure.
Of course, Charley did not have surge momentum either due to its rapid intensification prior to hitting land.
Coveresly, Ivan landed as a Cat 3 but pushed a borderline Cat 4/5 surge onto Perdido Key straddling the Alabama/Florida line. In addition, Ivan did have the surge momentum of its prior long-lived Category 5 status.

Camille was a strong, small hurricane that did have surge momentum. In addition, it actually hit as a 5. Its surge was in the 20-25 feet range. Contrast that with Katrina, which also had surge momentum, but was geographically very large producing a larger surge than Camille. That larger surge translated into a larger surge momentum which did not , unfortunately, have enough time to dissapate prior to hitting shore. The surge on Katrina will be 30+ ft.

So, you are correct in that a sharp turn would greatly affect the surge momentum. So, the main question will be how strong will it be and how long will it be that strong after it makes the turn. Also, will an ERC cause a larger eye? These are the questions that we must ask.

I would also like to not neglect the fact that the "angle of attack" to the shoreline is very important. If I had to guess, (and this is only a guess) I would say that the surge is in the 18-20' range with this storm (which, of course, is still terrible).

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center