dreamingtree
(Registered User)
Wed Oct 19 2005 04:27 PM
Re: Wilma, Category 5 and Breaking Records

Hi everyone! I am new to this site, and I am glad I found this board! I find everyones input extremely informative and very interesting. I am watching Wilma very closely, as we live in Oldsmar, FL , which is between Tampa and St Pete, right above the bay. We have to evacuate our 2 story townhouse if a cat 3 or higher threatens, so we have to be on guard. We are prepared, but will not evacuate until we are told we must. Even though traffic would be terrible if the storm is found to be coming our way, it is pointless to jump the gun at this time. We have been here about 2 years, and are from up north, so I know a lot about tornadoes and used to "chase" them and report any funnel clouds, but am still learning about hurricanes.

This Wilma is very funny in the terms of where its going. It appears to be moving like someone is stearing it through the water like a boat. I do not believe that anyone at this time can predict just where it will hit for sure on Fl's West Coast. Honestly, I think the experts are doing very well at even predicting that it will move north and make such a turn. I respect them a lot. Such science is a mystery to me!

What I do know is that business are now starting to take precautions in case anything does happen. Some are announcing that they will be closed if even a tropical storm warning is issued. I have not yet seen people stocking up on supplies or boards for windows. The lines at Wal-Mart are normal. When the boards start "moving down the street," then peoples moods change considerably and more people start to take the storm seriously.

I think its very interesting to track the storm, although unlike some people, I do not actually want it to hit. I am tracking the storm because I have to because we chose to live in this location, and because I like to learn about hurricanes. I have noticed some people pretend to be scared of the storm (especially people on the east side where it will not be bad), but they seem to be excited about it hitting them so they have a story to tell. I would rather Wilma dissapates and leaves any storm stories untold. That would make a story in itself.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center