mempho
(Verified CFHC User)
Wed Oct 19 2005 04:34 PM
Re: Wilma, Category 5 and Breaking Records

Quote:

For the sake of posterity, I wouldn't mind if it holds near whatever it bottomed out at (the pressure was still falling like a rock when the recon plane left, so who knows how low the pressure got) until the next plane gets in there, and then I hope the inner core falls apart, which is bound to happen at some point soon.

I wonder why they don't fly more recon into storms like this...not just for the sake of posterity, but I would think the research data would be invaluable for protecting lives at some point in the future. For instance, if we ever saw rapid intensification right off the coast of some area, we could use this data to better extrapolate the conditions in the eye. This information could be broadcast to those in the path to no longer treat this as though you are going to get hit by a hurricane, but rather to treat it like you will be hit by a tornado. Then, people could put mattresses on top of their heads and so forth to protect themselves. I could easily see such measurements as being valuable.

Probably this biggest gain with this data would be to mariners. Cruise vessels often must make the decision to either punch through a depression/storm. With such rapid intensification, it is possible for even prudent mariners to be caught in a catastrophic hurricane. Let's just hope that we don't find out later that this actually happened to someone.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center